Sunday 21 March 2010

Little girl by the signal

Oh gosh! Am late!
And the red lights after red lights!
Frowning heavily,
I wait at the signal

"5 rupees, please take one",
little hand pokes mine.
a small girl, wearing school uniform
lost behind the load of garlands
"just 5 rupees, please do take one",
She pleads…

"Where are your parents?"
"near the roadside"
she points excitedly,
"see, there… "
A smile comes on my face
"do you go to school?"
"Yes :) everyday"
"What about your homework?
When you do it?"
"Sitting by amma,
when the lights are green…"

I take two garlands,
she moves to next vehicle…
green lights flashes
Honks and honks rushes forth
I too move on.

Something makes me
look back at the roadside…
little girl standing by her mother,
a book in her small hands.

Just in 10 rupees,
I bought a wonderful smile.
determination so strong,
Little girl by the signal taught…

4 comments:

Sir James Eric Watkins said...

Hello.

I liked your poem.

It moved like thoughts do.

Shre said...

Thanks Sir James, hope you'll like the other poems too.

Anonymous said...

Great Poem, keep up the good work!!!!

Holy Smoke said...

Wow, what words! I am humbled by your poetry, it truly showcases the vagaries of life that millions of kids in our country have to face.

More power to your plough.